Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tragedy Struck Everything Changed

April 2001 Shel and I had just completed a full day at work.  She had been working for a major brokerage firm since 1998 as a stock broker assistant.  I had recently left the corporate world and took over all the operations of the shop.  We were enjoying being newlyweds and recently became new parents.  Our daughter was just 3 months old.  Normally we didn't socialize much at night simply because we didn't have time.  However this evening I had a friend over for some odd reason.  I was in the basement hanging out with him  and Shel was upstairs tending to our daughter.  She really liked being a mother and cherished the one on one time with her.   After some time,  my wife came down and handed me our daughter and told me she wasn't feeling well.  I really didn't think anything about it at the time, because we had a lot going on and stress was at an all time high.  I had always taken care of her both emotionally and physically and this time was no different. After a short period of time,  I decided to go upstairs and check on her to make sure she was okay.  She was laying down in our bedroom with all the lights out complaining of feeling weak, bad headache and upset stomach.  Something seemed really bad and I felt that it was going to get worse.  She suddenly got very quiet and limp in my arms!  She was totally unresponsive and her eyes rolled back into her head.  I tried everything to revive her water, yelling, shaking, slapping and even screaming.  Nothing worked!  She was gone!  I yelled for my friend to call 911 and felt for a pulse and listened for a heartbeat.  The paramedics arrived and she was still unresponsive and in a coma like state.   The scene was chaotic because they had to maneuver her dead weight towards the front door plus diagnose the problem at the same time.  I could tell from their body language and questions that they were clueless too.  I remember the ride in the ambulance as if it was yesterday.  It was like time stopped!  80 mph plus at about ten o clock at night  rushing through red light after red light!  My wife in the back strapped to the gurney totally lifeless.  Ill never forget the paramedics hopeless expression on their face!     

No comments:

Post a Comment