Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Husband's Background

My parents divorced in my preteen-age years and life was somewhat difficult.  I thought it was end of the world when my parents went their separate ways.  My mom remarried and I found myself living at Lake of the Ozarks.  My step dad was possessed with the devil of alcoholism and most of my waking hours were spent defending myself physically or emotionally.  I admired my mother for her  compassion and duplicated her personality in myself.  Unfortunately the stress became too much to bare and my mom's health deteriorated rapidly with Alzheimer disease.  There were good times usually during the day water skiing and enjoying each others company but the drinking started at night.  My spiritual life was somewhat confusing because of  going to church every Sunday and fighting demons at night.   I learned how to memorize passages in the bible, say the right things and portrayed the image of a strong Christian even though inside I was not!  I firmly believe looking back that God was preparing me for more challenging times as a caregiver starting with witnessing first hand the slow deterioration  of my mom's mental health.
I don't wish anyone would ever have to witness their own moms go from a living thriving adult to a child in a fetal position.  I truly miss my mom with all my heart!

Extraordinary things started happening in my childhood years.  I was able to know when accidents would happen before they did and  recognize struggling hearts.  In the midst of total chaos, I became stronger and stronger inside and out.  Little did I know god's plan to utilize all these teachings in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment